5 Hiring Tips for Your Small Business
Hiring for you small business is without a doubt one of the most important things an entrepreneur can do in order to grow a business. For very small businesses, hiring makes great impact on a company’s culture and the way it runs. You need to ensure that each new employee is a passionate and committed worker. Here are some hiring tips for your small business:
- Be clear about the role. Whether you are using a recruitment agency, starting a recruitment agency or using an online platform such as: Indeed or Monster. You’ll need to keep your description clear and concise but quite broad in order for potential employees to understand. With small businesses, it is important to understand that roles evolve quite quickly and positions tend to be quite stressful. Employees need to be very comfortable in a flexible environment. During the interview you will need to determine how the candidate handles change. You want the job role to be as transparent as possible so being open and honest about any changes that may occur.
- Look in the right places. You will need to figure out where the best candidates are and where you can find them. For example, if you are looking for someone in sales then you should look in a place where there is an element of customer service.
- Offer flexibility. No one enjoys being chained to a desk all day. As long as your team is meeting the goals then offering flexibility is a huge selling point.
- Don’t settle. There is no reason you can’t find the perfect candidate. It may take some legwork but they are out there somewhere! Because, you will be spending a lot of time with your new employee you will need to get on with them.
- Test them out. Don’t be afraid of hiring someone, it is a lot of money to replace someone if they are not up to scratch so before you commit to anything you should try and test the waters with a short time contract.
Great teams are made up of diverse, passionate individuals who may only have a few things in common. Although they may not share certain things they are all smart, savvy and hardworking individuals.
Author: Karen James has a passion for business, travel and creative endeavours and enjoys sharing her experiences with a wider audience. When she isn’t writing she enjoys long walks with her chocolate lab Coco and spending time with her family.